Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Sun Airway talks to WUTK about SXSW, the A-Sides and a new record

Jon Barthmus, the man behind Sun Airway, sat down with Brittney B and the Indie Aisle's Doug Johnson for an interview about all things music. Sun Airway rocked the Pilot Light last Wednesday with Asobi Seksu and Cults. You can listen to the interview or read it below!

Sun Airway interview with WUTK by bbryant3

WUTK: So, Why don’t you go ahead and introduce yourself.

Sun Airway: My name is John and I am part of Sun Airway. Patrick is kind of my second half of the recording part, but our live band is five people.

WUTK: Really? So two of you write it and then you have a full band?
SA: It’s mostly my project that I started with Patrick, but now its become a real band.

WUTK: How would you describe your music?
SA: Oh, man. You think I would have an answer for that by now. That’s always the toughest thing for me to say. The short answer, I guess, is electronic-pop. I’ll stick with that.

WUTK: I know you said you have been touring for a little while. How has it been?
SA: It has been pretty amazing. The first half was with Cults and Small Black. We all just got along really well, and kind of turned it into a rolling party.

WUTK: Then is this your first show with Asobi Seksu?
SA: Last night was our first with them and they were great. I’m psyched to see them for the next few nights.

WUTK: This is kind of like the ultimate indie music show, You get all different sides of the music spectrum.
SA: Yeah it seems like going to and from SXSW there is so many bands going that you can put together some really solid tours.

WUTK: Do you have any good stories from SXSW? You played eight shows in four days!
SA: Sadly, my main concern was just keeping my voice. It was such a blur. We had some definite good times. I ate a lot of good food truck food. Waffle tacos is all I’m going to say. Also, there’s a big thing in Philly called “Making Time” and they were doing something at SXSW that ended up being a big Philly thing. After us was Spankrock, and we has playing some of his new stuff. He just got everyone super into it.

WUTK: Are you working on any new stuff right now? If so, what kind of music?
SA: I am. We are trying to get out a 7’’ this summer, and then hopefully another album next year. So I’m just starting to write some music. I have one song done and a few in the works.

WUTK: From what we have read, you get a lot of comparisons to Animal Collective. What do you think about that?
SA: I’m okay with it, as far as reference points goes because I really like Animal Collective. But, I am also sort of confused by it because I don’t every really think you would confuse us with them. I think people need something to latch onto. It is a flattering band to be compared to.

WUTK: You were part of the A-Sides. How did the A-sides morph into Sun Airway?
SA: Well, basically everyone but the drummer quit. Not out of any real reason. We were kind of over touring. So, I mostly just wanted to make music. I had been messing around with electronica music and samples and I wanted to just really try to dive into it and make a record of it, so that’s what we did. Oh and now the Sun Airway band is 4/5ths of the A-Sides.

WUTK: So now you all just came together and made a new and improved A-Sides?
SA: Yeah pretty much. People left and did their own thing, but by the time Sun Airway got around to playing shows everybody wanted to get involved again.

WUTK: The Sun Airway stuff sounds pretty different than the A-Sides. Do you think on a touring basis atleast that you will start to sound a little like the A-Sides?
SA: The good thing about the A-Sides was that everyone was just really good at what they were doing. But, I think there is a lot of times in a live show everyone’s strengths in what they play really come out like they did in the A-Sides. So, maybe there is a little something there.

WUTK: Did the guys in the A-Sides help you with your newest album, Nocturne of Exploded Chandelier?
SA: No one helped on it. It was kind of make the music first and then do it live.

WUTK: When did you start working on the album that came out in October of last year?
SA: We started it in August of ’08, so it was kind of a long time coming. A lot of that was just building a studio and trying to learn how to use all the gear.

WUTK: How did that album come together? What was your inspiration?
SA: I guess it was coming from a lot of places. Most of it I had written already. It would probably have been the new A-Sides record, but once we started Sun Airway I was recording them all in this new context. The inspirations of a few songs were based on the book Norweigan Wood. And then I just took a lot of the themes that were involved in those and tried to elaborate on them for the rest of the stuff. I wanted to make something really cohesive. I started taking the moon and the night as the main reference points.

WUTK: You can hear that on the album. It sounds a little dreamy.
SA: Yeah, I like for it to be very mysterious. Something you can really immerse yourself in.

WUTK: You’re going to be at the Pitchfork festival. Were you excited to be one of the first bands announced.
SA: That was definitely a surprise to us, as much as anybody else. I’ve always wanted to go, but never had a real excuse. This year it’s on and I can’t wait.

WUTK: You’ve done a lot of remixes for Here We Go Magic and Caribou. Can we expect more of these?
SA: Probably a couple more, but I’m definitely going to be slowing down on those.

WUTK: Anything else you’re working on?
SA: I am doing something awesome for a charity that’s benefiting kids in Southern India. It’s made from a library of samples of those kids singing. There are a lot of other really cool artists involved. Other than that I guess I’ll just focus on my own stuff for a bit.

WUTK: The last album you said took you two years. Do you think that next one is going to take as long?
SA: I would really like for it to take a lot less time. But it’s hard to say. It depends on how much free time I get.

WUTK: What bands are you really into right now?
SA: I got a recent EP of Zola Jesus that is really good. Also, the new Pains of Being Pure at Heart. I also listen to a lot of electronic and dance music from the past 10 years. I’m really excited for the new Cass McCombs and Dirty Beaches, too.

WUTK: Is there a band you are really hoping to see, perhaps at Pitchfork when you are there?
SA: I’m psyched to see Fleet Foxes.





No comments:

Post a Comment